1. accountability (n.) [uh-koun-tuh-bil-i-tee] – being able to explain the reasons and accept responsibility for one’s actions
Example: Accountability is important to build a healthy relationship in the office.
2. rebellion (n.) [ri-bel-yuhn] - an action disobeying any authority (usually against the government or a ruler), control, or tradition
Example: Rebellion often results to violence.
3. fed up (idiom) [fed-uhp] – to be tired of something
Example: The employer is fed up with employees who are always late.
4. oust (v.) [oust] – to remove, expel or take away
Example: The people want to oust the cruel leader.
Read the text below.
Honesty and accountability will put an end to rebellions in oil-producing countries like Libya, according to billionaire investor George Soros.
Soros stressed the importance of telling citizens how oil money is spent. People in Libya are rebelling against their government today partly because their leader, Colonel, has wasted the money the country earned from selling oil.
Libya earns millions of dollars by producing 1.6 million barrels of oil per day. They rank 17th among the largest producers of oil in the world.
The people in Libya got fed up with Gaddafi’s corruption. For years, Gaddafi has been using the huge wealth of the government for his own benefit.
Other oil-producing countries like Russia and Saudi Arabia must learn from Libya that rebellion can be prevented if they remain honest to the people.
Soros said the government must also be responsible in sharing oil money to the people so they can benefit from it.
US and Europe can improve the situation by supporting the revolutions in Libya and other countries. Doing so will ensure that these countries will ally with US and Europe once the dictators are ousted.
A good relationship between US, Europe and oil-producing countries will greatly improve the oil business.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Do you think rebellion is an effective way to solve the problems in society?
· What are the advantages and disadvantages of a rebellion?
· Why does honesty result to a strong nation?
· How can the government show honesty to the people?