Unlocking Word Meanings
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. feces (n.) [fee-seez] – solid waste released by the body
Example: Improper disposal of animal feces can cause environmental and health problems.
2. artificial (adj.) [ahr-tuh-fish-uhl] – something not naturally made or produced (made by human beings)
Example: Other kind of artificial meats are made of mushroom.
3. unappetizing (adj.) [uhn-ap-i-tahy-zing] - (of food) does not appear, smell, or taste good
Example: Overcooked food is unappetizing for me.
4. noxious (adj.) [nok-shuhs] – poisonous or harmful to living things (especially health)
Example: Chemical industries release noxious chemicals.
5. sewage (n.) [soo-ij] – liquid or solid waste matter from homes
Example: Sewage from kitchen or bathroom waste can cause flood if mismanaged.
Read the text below.
Japanese researchers have produced meat out of human feces, according to a report.
The method of the said production involves taking out proteins, carbohydrates and fats from human waste. These elements are combined again to form the artificial meat. To improve its flavor and make it appear red, soy protein and food coloring are added to it.
According to Douglas Powell, a professor of food safety at Kansas University, the idea is similar to eating plants fertilized with animal feces, since the nutrients in feces also become part of the plants themselves. He added that eating this food is safe but may be unappetizing.
Experts say that although the meat is safe, people have to make sure it is cooked well before they eat it in order to eliminate noxious organisms.
The researchers came up with this idea when Tokyo Sewage, the agency in charge of the city’s sewage system, told them to find a use for the abundant human waste in mud.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Are there a lot of vegetarians in your country?
· What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of people who eat more vegetables than meat?
· What do you think are the disadvantages of creating meat from feces?
· Would you like to try this meat? Why/ Why not?