Unlocking Word Meanings
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. foresee (v.) [fawr-see, fohr-] – to see or know something ahead of time
Example: I was able to foresee that it was going to rain because of the gloomy sky.
2. reputation (n.) [rep-yuh-tey-shuhn] – the opinion of others about someone’s character
Example: People say he has a good reputation because of his happy personality.
3. marina (n.) [muh-ree-nuh] – a certain part of the shoreline (near the port) where small boats are parked
Example: Marina is also a place to repair boats.
4. leisure (n.) [lee-zher, lezh-er] – free time or opportunity for relaxation
Example: Going to the beach is one of my leisure activities.
5. humbly (adv.) [huhm-buhlee, uhm-] – doing or saying something with modesty (not arrogant or boastful)
Example: He humbly admitted his mistake and apologized.
Read the text below.
South Korea is foreseen to join the ranks of the US, France, Italy and New Zealand as one of the best sailing nations in the world soon.
The South Korea sailing team, "White Tiger Challenge," was recently accepted to join the 2013 American Cup, which is considered the most prestigious of all sailing tournaments.
The founder of Team Korea, Dong Young Kim, believes that South Korea has great potential in sailing considering its high-tech industry and its reputation for hosting ‘world-class’ events, and that the country is surrounded with more than 2000-kilometerseacoast. From only three marinas in 2008, the country now has seven plus about 30 more that are being developed.
This development shows how sailing is becoming a popular sport in South Korea. One reason for this sudden interest is related to the government policy made seven years ago which includes ‘water leisure sports,’ like sailing, as one of the ten industries to be developed in the country. Also, as the government recently reduced the number of working days from six to five, Koreans have had more leisure time and more chances to discover new hobbies.
Kim humbly added that his Team might not have a strong chance in the American Cup due to their limited experience, but he believes that what they have to offer is something their competitors will learn from as well. He also hopes that by joining this tournament and by organizing more local sailing events they can catch the interest of more young people in the country.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· What do you think are the advantages of leisure?
· Do workers in your country have enough time for leisure? Why or why not?
· What are the factors that can affect a country in joining sports events?
· What international sports events does your country take part in?