Unlocking Word Meanings
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. coveted (adj.) [kuhv-it-id] – greatly desired or wished for
Example: The university graduates looked happy as they received their coveted diplomas.
2. acclaimed (adj.) [uh-kleymd] –praised enthusiastically
Example: She was the acclaimed teacher of the year because of her excellent performance.
3. vie (v.) [vahy] – to strive for victory; to engage in a contest
Example: My sister is all set to vie for the Math Wizard Award.
4. rivalry (n.) [rahy-vuhl-ree] – the act of competing against each other
Example: The supervisor noticed the rivalry between the two account executives, Ana and Jane.
5. bring home the bacon (idiom) [bring hohm thuh bey-kuhn] – to achieve desired results; to gain success
Example: Our school soccer team brought home the bacon after competing against almost 20 teams from different schools in the region.
Read the text below.
Brothers Bruno and Loick Peyron are joining forces on a mission to win for France the first ever America’s Cup – a much coveted international award for yacht racing.
After 30 years of competing against each other, the Peyron brothers, two of France’s acclaimed sailors, will lead France’s “Energy Team.” The team will vie for the cup together with 14 other teams from around the world.
Elder brother Bruno, 56, is the first ever to successfully sail around the world in less than 80 days. He is also an eight-time world ocean record holder. On the other hand, Loick, 51, has already won numerous major tournaments. Loick said that this endeavor is not for him and his brother but for the country.
Ever since the two started their individual careers in sailing, the media has focused on the sibling rivalry between them.
According to Loick, his desire to beat Bruno is a natural brotherly competitiveness, but this does not drive his ambition. Further, Bruno said that he has always dreamt of doing something with his brother, and that this partnership should have happened long before.
The Peyron brothers are highly motivated to win the American Cup for France, which has not won since it joined in 1970. President of the Yacht Club de France Phillippe Court said that this year, France has greater chances of bringing home the bacon under Bruno and Loick’s leadership.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Have you ever competed with your sibling in a contest or competition? If yes, what was it?
· Do you think that the older one should give way for the younger sibling in terms of competitions or careers? Why or why not?
· How do you think parents should deal with sibling rivalry?
· Do parents really treat all their children equally?