Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. in a row (n.) [in a roh] – in a series; one after another
Example: The team has won the championship two times in a row—the first in 2000 and the other in 2001.
2. stint (n.) [stint] – a length of time spent for a certain activity
Example: His stint as a soccer player earned him a lot of experience and friends.
3. disclose (v.) [dih-sklohz] – to reveal information to somebody
Example: The announcers disclosed news that surprised the listeners.
4. altogether (adv.) [awl-tuh-geth -er, awl-tuh-geth-er] – completely; fully
Example: After quitting soccer altogether, he never again played another game.
5. icon (n.) [ahy-kon] – a famous person considered to be a symbol of something
Example: Michael Phelps is an Olympic icon because he has won a lot of medals
Read the text below.
English soccer player David Beckham has played his last game as a member of a US professional league team. With his help, Beckham’s team, the Los Angeles Galaxy, won the Major League Soccer (MLS) Cup for the second time in a row.
With a score of 3-1, the L.A. Galaxy team was victorious against the Houston Dynamo team from Texas.
Around 30,000 fans watched the game at the Home Depot Center in California, cheering for their teams and for Beckham.
The 37-year-old Beckham had played for America for five years, earning more than $6.5 million per year while playing for L.A. Galaxy. In his final US game, he did not score any goals, but he fully participated in the game.
Beckham said he hopes his fans had fun watching him play in the US. He thanked them for their support.
Before his stint in the US league, Beckham had played for UK team Manchester United and Spanish team Real Madrid.
L.A. Galaxy team representatives disclosed that Beckham will not play in anymore MLS teams after the game against Houston. They did not say what the English player would do after leaving, but the team’s statement revealed that Beckham would like to have a final challenge before retiring from football altogether.
Beckham has been an icon for soccer fans worldwide for many years. He is also a UNICEF ambassador, a model for famous fashion brands, and the husband of English celebrity Victoria Beckham, fashion designer and former member of the popular Spice Girls music group.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· How would you feel if your favorite athlete or celebrity would retire?
· What kind of work do you think athletes can do after they retire?
· Name a celebrity or someone you know whom you respect and admire very much. Why do you admire that person?
· How can people show their support for a person they admire?