【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. stun gun [stuhn guhn] (n.) – a device for self-defense that creates an electric shock to stop someone from moving
Example: The stun gun stopped the man from harassing the lady.
2. built-in [BILT-in] (adj.) – located inside something, fixed as a part of something
Example: New smartphone designs have two built-in cameras, one at the front and one at the back.
3. come up with [kuhm uhp wid] (v.) – to create or invent an idea
Example: The company manager came up with a new way to advertise the new product.
4. reliability [ri-lahy-uh-BIL-i-tee] (n.) – the state of being accurate or trustworthy of performing well
Example: Best-selling products have high durability and reliability.
5. pre-order [pri-AWR-der] (v.) – to request for purchase beforehand
Example: Customers can pre-order the new phone online and pay for it later.
Read the text below.
A startup company called Yellow Jacket has recently launched a smartphone case that can be used for self-defense. The case is especially designed for Apple’s iPhone 5S and 5C.
Because of its enticing features, the new iPhone has become a popular target of cellphone thieves. But with the new case that comes with a stun gun, smartphone owners can defend themselves when the need arises.
The stun gun attached to the Yellow Jacket iPhone case is powered by a built-in battery. It releases 650 kilovolts of electricity, enough to make someone unconscious or immobile.
Yellow Jacket president Seth Froom came up with this idea when he got robbed and realized that he had nothing to protect himself with. Froom said that the company aims not only to help smartphone users defend themselves but also to advocate protection and awareness.
However, not all authorities approve of the use of such device for self-defense. The company has no record yet of people who have actually used the stun gun case to defend themselves even though the case has long been available for iPhone 4 and 4S. The quality and reliability of the stun gun case has not yet been verified, said James Pasco, executive director at a law enforcement center in the US. Thus, using the device may only make the dangerous situation even worse.
Nonetheless, people using the case, especially women, say that they feel a sense of assurance and security whenever they go outside.
iPhone 5S and 5C users may now pre-order the case and expect to receive it during the holiday season. The Yellow Jacket case costs $140 in the US.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Do you think this iPhone case can be effective for self-defense? Why or why not?
· If you own an iPhone, would you purchase this iPhone case? Please explain your answer.
· Aside from having self-defense gadgets, how else can a person defend himself or herself from robbers?
· What do you think are the disadvantages of having a weapon for self-defense?