【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. get into /gɛt ˈɪntu/ (v. phrase) – to get involved in something
Example: Parents never want their children to get into trouble.
2. keep an eye on /kip ən aɪ ɒn/ (idiom) – to watch or monitor closely
Example: Parents must keep an eye on their children to protect them from bad influences.
3. adequate /ˈædɪkwɪt/ (adj.) – enough to meet a requirement or a need
Example: I feel so sleepy because I did not get adequate sleep last night.
4. positive /ˈpɒzɪtɪv/ (adj.) – has good behavior; good-natured
Example: Positive people can influence others to become well-mannered.
5. look into /lʊk ˈɪntu/ (v. phrase) – to study or investigate something carefully
Example: The research looks into the effects of good sleep on children’s behavior.
Read the text below.
A recent study revealed that adolescents with good social relationship often get regular and good sleep.
David Maume, a sociology professor at the University of Cincinnati, Ohio, conducted the said study. He analyzed the social ties and sleep patterns of almost one thousand teenagers from when they were 12 to 15 years old.
Results of the study showed that when the adolescents turned 15, their amount of sleep decreased from more than nine hours to less than eight. The study also found that the adolescents’ healthy habits are greatly affected by their parent’s involvement in their lives.
Parents often prevent their teenage children from getting into drugs and alcohol by monitoring their kids’ actions. Similarly, teenagers develop healthy sleeping habits when parents keep an eye on their children’s behavior, the study further revealed. When teenagers have healthy sleeping habits, they gain adequate rest that leads to a healthier lifestyle.
Furthermore, teenagers who have positive friends are also more likely to get better sleep. With well-mannered friends, teenagers tend to behave well and have better health, which helps them get enough sleep.
Maume noted that when teenagers have sleeping problems, doctors simply recommend prescription drugs to deal with the problem.
However, according to Maume, this problem may not be solved with drugs alone. It is also important to look into parent-child relationship. The parents’ greater involvement in their children’s lives may be more responsible for having better sleep than doctor-prescribed medical solutions.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Do you agree that teenagers can have better sleep if parents monitor their children’s behavior? Explain.
· How else can we help teenagers get better and enough sleep?
· What do you think are the advantages of having adequate sleep? Please discuss briefly.
· Why do you think some people often get inadequate sleep?