【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. stress /strɛs/ (n.) – a negative feeling or situation caused by problems
Example: Lack of money and unemployment may cause stress.
2. collaborate /kəˈlæbəˌreɪt/ (v.) – to work together
Example: Scientists from different companies collaborated for a special project.
3. transmit /trænsˈmɪt, trænz-/ (v.) – to send, usually through a signal
Example: E-mail messages can be transmitted through our wireless phones.
4. assume /əˈsum/ (v.) – to expect or believe something without enough proof
Example: Lea assumed that her doctor will be absent because of the holiday.
5. elate /ɪˈleɪt/ (v.) – to cause joy and excitement
Example: The new product elated the company’s most loyal customers.
Read the text below.
Microsoft researchers have designed a bra that can make women aware about their stress-related eating habits.
Several U.S. studies show that stress causes most people to overeat, which can lead to being overweight. So, Microsoft designers invented a smart bra that monitors a person’s mood and helps prevent overeating due to stress.
The underwear is equipped with special sensors that collaborate with specific smartphone apps. The bra has microprocessor in its sensor pads powered by a battery. However, the bra’s batteries last for only four hours, although they can be recharged.
Mary Czerwinski [CHER-vin-ski], senior researcher at Microsoft, said the bra works by measuring the heart’s activity. She and her co-researchers also tried doing a sensor device for men’s underwear. However, the far distance between a man’s heart and the brief gave no results.
According to Czerwinski’s research paper, the various sensors in the bra captures the user’s heart rate and respiration, skin’s moisture level, and a woman’s movement related to eating. Data collected from the device are transmitted to a smartphone application. Based on the mood and movement analyzed, the app then warns the user whenever she is stress-eating.
With the recorded moods, scientists can assume the human’s tendencies of eating based on their emotions. They can also determine what certain changes happen in the body as one’s mood changes.
On another note, Czerwinski aims to find other body parts where monitoring moods can also be done. Also, she and other researchers are working on further programs to simplify the study of human emotions. A Microsoft app to elate one’s mood is currently under way.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· How do you think the bra sensor will affect women’s eating behavior?
· Do you approve of this kind of invention? Why or why not?
· How else do you think stress can affect one’s lifestyle? Discuss with your tutor.
· How can people avoid getting stressed? Please explain.