【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. hype /haɪp/ (v.) – to be excited
Example: People get hyped when major sports events are held in the country.
2. autobiography /ˌɔtəbaɪˈɒgrəfi, -bi-, ˌɔtoʊ-/ (n.) – a person’s life story written by himself or herself
Example: Reading athletes’ autobiographies is fun because they tell their stories with more personal details.
3. ban /bæn/ (v.) – to not allow something
Example: Sports officials banned the players who used illegal drugs from professional competitions.
4. taint /teɪnt/ (v.) – to damage something and make it unwanted
Example: Lance’s drug and gambling addiction tainted his successful sports career.
5. tweet /twit/ (v.) – to post something on social media site Twitter
Example: The famous boxer tweeted thoughts that he wanted to share with on Twitter.
Read the text below.
Mike Tyson was forced to re-route [ree root, rout] and conduct his promotional tour in Paris after learning that he is banned from entering London.
Tyson was hyped to interact with his London fans for the promotional tour of his autobiography entitled “Undisputed Truth.” Unfortunately, he did not immediately learn that he is banned in London.
In 1986, Tyson rose to fame when he became the youngest heavyweight champion at the age of 20. However, several offenses tainted his career. Tyson is known for serving three years of a six-year imprisonment in 1992 for raping a teenage beauty queen.
He also filed bankruptcy due to several arrest charges like violence and cocaine possession. The boxer has also become famous after he bit his opponent Evander Holyfield’s ear during a match.
Because of these past offenses, Tyson was not able to enter London. The revised immigration law in the UK does not allow previous prisoners and law offenders to enter the country. A spokesperson from the UK Home Office said the current rules also include obligatory refusals based on one’s sentence duration.
Since he could not enter London, Tyson tweeted about a contest that would select five best questions from his British fans. The winners will have the opportunity to personally ask him the questions in the boxing ring.
When asked about his reaction regarding the ban, he stated that he was greatly disappointed. Tyson apologized to the fans. He assured them that he is working with the authorities to allow his UK Broadway show in March 2014.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Do you think the UK should allow Mike Tyson’s entry? Why or why not?
· Would you want your country adopt the same immigration rules? Discuss with your tutor.
· Why do you think some famous athletes tend to commit crimes?
· What should athletes do to avoid illegal acts? Please discuss briefly.