【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. sheet /ʃit/ (n.) – a flat, thin, rectangular material, especially of paper
Example: I need a wide sheet of paper to write on.
2. around /əˈraʊnd/ (prep.) – close to in number
Example: Around a thousand people visit the department store to buy presents daily.
3. keep in place /kip ɪn pleɪs/ (idiom) – to hold something in a steady position
Example: I taped the dedication card to the gift to keep it in place.
4. biodegradable /ˌbaɪoʊdɪˈgreɪdəbəl/ (adj) – can naturally decay or break down
Example: Using biodegradable paper bags instead of plastic bags can help the environment.
5. within one’s means /wɪðˈɪn wʌns mins/ (idiom) – affordable; able to acquire
Example: Many customers visit the store because its products are within one’s means.
Read the text below.
A design group in Gloucester [GLOS-ter, GLAW-ster], England has developed a brilliant way of reducing the gift wrap waste problem during the holiday season.
The company, BEAF, created a gift wrapping paper that can be planted. This wrapping paper is called Eden’s Paper. After using it, the wrapping paper can be buried and become a vegetable patch as it is embedded with seeds. The seeds include onion, broccoli, chili, tomato, and carrots.
The size of each sheet is 27 by 17 inches. It holds around 700 seeds between layers of tissue that keep them in place. The seeds are arranged in rows so that when planted, they would also create a row of vegetables.
Eden’s Paper is also completely biodegradable. The makers did not use any glue in making the paper. Even the ink used for the designs is made from vegetables.
The Eden’s Paper has several advantages. For one, it is a remarkable solution to the waste problem created by gift wrap materials during the holidays. Also, this environment-friendly wrapping paper is within one’s means at £5 per sheet, much cheaper compared to posh wrapping papers.
According to Nikola Venios of BEAF, roughly 227,000 miles of gift wrap were wasted over Christmas last year in the UK alone. This huge amount is enough to wrap the world nine times.
The “plantable” wrapping paper can be a wonderful way of giving another gift for loved ones in the form of vegetables. On another note, the company also looks forward to including herbs, flowers, and fruits in the gift wrap.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Do you like the idea behind the Eden’s Paper? Why or why not?
· After learning about this article, would you use Eden’s Paper for your gifts? Why or why not?
· Why is saving the environment important?
· How else can we help save and protect the environment? Explain.