【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. disapprove /ˌdɪsəˈpruv/ (v.) – to reject or dislike something
Example: My mother disapproves of sharing family information on social networking sites.
2. turn off /tɜrn ɒf/ (phrasal v.) – to displease or discourage a person
Example: His friend’s rude comments on the photo he posted turned Lance off.
3. primary /ˈpraɪmɛri, -məri/ (adj.) – has the major or highest importance
Example: The primary reason why people use social networking sites is the opportunity to connect to so many people for free.
4. at once /æt wʌns/ (adv.) – simultaneously; at the same time
Example: Facebook allows people to share photos and videos to many people at once.
5. dominant /ˈdɒmənənt/ (adj.) – leading or most successful
Example: The company is the most dominant when it comes to research and development.
Read the text below.
Survey revealed that Facebook remains to be the leader of social networking sites 10 years after it was developed.
Although some people seem to disapprove many things about Facebook, it appears that these things do not stop people from using the social networking site. This claim is proven by Facebook’s more than 1.2 billion subscribers worldwide.
To find out people’s attitude towards Facebook, the Pew Research Center conducted a survey as the social network celebrates its 10th anniversary.
The results of the survey showed that more than 50% of American Facebook users are turned off by the idea that people share too much information about themselves. About 36% felt strongly against the idea, while 25% said they simply dislike it.
Similarly, 36% of the users disliked the idea that their pictures are posted without their permission. Three in four people also objected to posting pictures of their children without consent.
On a positive note, 47% of Facebook users said they appreciate the pictures and videos posted by friends, which is the primary reason why they use Facebook. Another 46% expressed that one outstanding feature of the network is allowing users to share photos and videos to many people at once.
Half of all the Facebook users who participated in the survey said that they have more than 200 friends while those in the 18-29 age bracket have more than 500 friends.
Another study conducted by Pew in 2013 found that 71% of Americans who use the Internet were Facebook users, making it the most dominant social networking site. Also, 52% of non-Facebook users had someone in their household who used the social networking site.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· What do you think are the other reasons why Facebook is still the biggest social networking site?
· What can be the disadvantages of using Facebook? Explain.
· How would you feel if your friends posted photos and videos of you without your consent? Explain.
· Do you approve of sharing too much information on the Internet? Why or why not?