【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. perform /pərˈfɔrm/ (v.) – to entertain, usually by singing and/or dancing
Example: Michael Jackson performed well in the concert.
2. unite /yuˈnaɪt/ (v.) – to join or put together
Example: Music can unite people from different cultures.
3. household name /ˈhaʊsˌhoʊld neɪm/ (n.) – something or someone that is very well-known
Example: Disney has become a household name after years of making films for kids.
4. up-and-coming /ʌp ənˈkʌmɪŋ/ (adj.) – refers to someone or something new and slowly gaining fame
Example: The up-and-coming bands will perform first before the main event.
5. phenomenal /fɪˈnɒmənl/ (adj.) – very excellent and impressive
Example: The phenomenal song ranked first after its debut.
Read the text below.
With three months left before the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil, the league has revealed the tournament’s official song created to encourage unity during the games.
Pitbull, Jennifer Lopez or J.Lo, and Brazilian artist Claudia Leitte [KLAW-dee-uh leyt] will do the song titled “We Are One (Ole Ola).” Sony Music will release the song and the music video a few days before the event. The artists are scheduled to perform live at the opening ceremony in the Arena de Sao Paulo this June 12.
In an interview, J.Lo said she grew up watching football because of her family’s love for the sport. She is excited for the opportunity to celebrate the sport in front of many fans.
Meanwhile, Pitbull said he is honored to sing alongside Lopez and Leitte. He believes that the game and music can unite the world, which is the main message of the song.
Lopez, who grew up in Puerto Rico, and Leitte, who was raised in Brazil, are both award-winning performers and businesswomen. Pitbull started his successful rapping career in his hometown in Cuba.
According to FIFA General Secretary Jerome Valcke [juh-ROHM vaulk], the collaboration of two household names in the music industry and the addition of a well-known performer in Brazil will make music and football fans eager to listen to the song. Also, he emphasized that the Brazilian music tradition is great. He cannot wait to see the up-and-coming Leitte show her talent to the world.
In World Cup 2010, Shakira’s “Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)” performance was phenomenal. Fans will surely have high expectations for the 2014 World Cup theme song.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· How can an official song like “We Are One” help an event like the World Cup?
· Aside from the unity, can you think of other possible themes for the World Cup song? Please explain your answer.
· How can sports unite the world?
· Aside from sports events, how else can people in the world be united?