【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. urinate /ˈyʊərəˌneɪt/ (v.) – to excrete or discharge urine from the body
Example: He urinates a lot because he drinks lots of water.
2. liquefy /ˈlɪkwəˌfaɪ/ (v.) – to turn into or become liquid
Example: Much of the ice has liquefied because of too much heat.
3. side effect /saɪd ɪˈfɛkt/ (n. phrase) – an undesirable or unpleasant effect after a drug or treatment is taken
Example: The drug’s side effects are dizziness and vomiting.
4. contour /ˈkɒntʊər/ (v.) – to mold or shape into something desired
Example: Some people undergo surgical treatments to contour their body into a slimmer figure.
5. bloodstream /ˈblʌdˌstrim/ (n.) – the flow of blood through a person or animal’s circulatory system
Example: The drug entered the bloodstream and quickly spread throughout the body.
Read the text below.
Experts have recently invented an injection that can liquefy body fat, making it possible for people to urinate it.
Known as Aqualyx, this new treatment is a water solution injected into the areas of the body with excess fat. The formula, which contains plant polymers, liquefies the fat cells. The dissolved fat cells are then eliminated from the body in the form of urine.
The makers of this formula say that it completely destroys the fat cells, ensuring that they would not grow back. At £250 ($415) per session, the treatment is claimed to be an effective and affordable alternative to liposuction [LIP-uh-suhk-shuh n, LAHY-puh‐]. The formula can be injected into several areas of the body, including the thighs [thahys], stomach, knees, buttocks, chin, neck, and back.
According to Mills Medical Service, Aqualyx is the only registered fat removal injection on the market. It has no side effects except for a little bruising and swelling of the injected area for 48 hours.
However, the makers stressed that the formula is not for weight loss. It is mainly used to contour the body and slim down the fatty areas. They also added that a healthy diet and exercise are necessary to help prevent the growth of too much fat.
On another note, Dr. Arun Ghosh of Spire Hospital in Liverpool warns people about this treatment. He explained that it is dangerous to reabsorb fatty acids into the bloodstream because acids that dissolve into salt would significantly increase cholesterol levels.
Another medical doctor also discourages using any injections to remove fat until more research and trials are done. Patients are encouraged to undergo full consultation before using the injection.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· If given the chance, would you try this formula? Why or why not?
· In your opinion, how will this formula sell in your country?
· Why do you think some people spend money to look better?
· Do you approve of cosmetic surgery? Please explain your answer.