【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. on the way /ɒn ðə weɪ/ (idiom) – soon to happen or be seen
Example: The company’s third branch is on the way of being established.
2. mark /mɑrk/ (v.) – to signify or be a symbol of something
Example: The transfer to a larger building marked a new beginning for the company.
3. legacy /ˈlɛgəsi/ (n.) – a rich and admirable history of something
Example: The dedication of the company’s earliest presidents led to a great legacy.
4. must-see /mʌst si/ (adj.) – notable and highly suggested to be seen or visited
Example: Disneyland is one of the must-see amusement parks in the world.
5. venture /ˈvɛntʃər/ (n.) – an attempt for a new business
Example: Hotel establishments will be the company’s new venture.
Read the text below.
Three years after its first amusement park opened in Abu Dhabi [AH-boo DAH-bee], Italian car manufacturer Ferrari announced that another park is on the way.
In partnership with PortAventura Entertainment, Ferrari will open the ‘Ferrari Land’ in 2016 as part of PortAventura [port-a-ven-TOO-ra] theme [theem] park and resort in Catalonia, Spain. Ferrari aims to provide a unique opportunity for families to discover the world of the famous car brand while having fun in the park.
Ferrari World’s opening in Abu Dhabi last 2010 marked a new chapter for the brand’s legacy. Aside from being the world’s biggest indoor theme park, Ferrari World features the fastest roller coaster in the world. Also, visitors can experience actual and virtual exhibits of various car models. The world's largest Ferrari gallery and Ferrari shop are also located in this venue.
The must-see Ferrari Land will include Europe’s highest and fastest vertical accelerator and a first-class establishment with restaurants and activity rooms. According to reports, the construction of this theme park would cost $136 million.
The outstanding quality of the first theme park certainly set the standard for Ferrari’s next venture. Andrea Perrone [AN-drey-uh pe-ROH-ne], Ferrari Brand’s CEO, said the success of Ferrari World led to the development of Ferrari Land.
Perrone added that the company chose Investindustrial [in-VEST-in-DUHS-tree-uh l], PortAventura’s parent company, because of its very solid proposal. The large number of Ferrari supporters in Spain and PortAventura’s high number of tourist visitors also played as key factors in the decision.
Perrone said the company will assess other proposals that can possibly lead to more Ferrari parks in the future.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· What features of Ferrari World do you like most? Kindly discuss.
· Do you think this theme park can also be popular in your country? Why or why not?
· Why do you think people like to experience extreme rides such as roller coasters?
· What was the most extreme experience you had in the past?