【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. cabin /ˈkæbɪn/ (n.) – a room or a part of an airplane where the passenger seats are located
Example: Many passengers are now entering the plane’s cabin.
2. hands-on /ˈhændzˈɒn/ (adj.) – requires active participation or physical involvement
Example: The manager provides hands-on training for the new employees.
3. cater to /ˈkeɪtər tu/ (v. phrase) – to provide what one needs or wants
Example: The attendant made sure to cater to the needs of the old lady.
4. pave the way for /peɪv ðə weɪ fɔr/ (idiom) – to make the progress or development of something easier and faster
Example: Saving money will pave the way for his dream to travel to another country.
5. open new doors /ˈoʊpən nyoo dɔrs/ (idiom) – to provide a better opportunity for something to happen
Example: The revised immigration law opens new doors to foreign job seekers.
Read the text below.
Qatar [KAH-tahr, kuh-TAHR] Airways has recently introduced the Airbus A380-800 or the A380 in an international trade fair held in Berlin last month. A380 is the newest addition to the company’s aircraft fleet.
During the event, Qatar Airways CEO Akbar Al Baker drew attention to the airplane’s finest feature: the first class cabin. Prototypes of the luxury seats for the cabin were put on display to provide a hands-on demonstration of their exclusive features.
Among those who attended the event were the mayor of Berlin and the airline’s Country Manager for Germany and Austria.
Considered as the largest passenger airliner worldwide, A380 is built with the usual three cabins for the first class, business class, and economy class. However, among the three cabins, the first-class cabin is the widest and most spacious in order to accommodate eight luxury seats.
The seats themselves are lavish. Each seat can be converted into a flat bed and is equipped with a 26-inch television screen. The TV offers a range of entertainment selections to cater to the full enjoyment and comfort of the passenger.
Al Baker believes that the A380 will pave the way for the airline to discover more opportunities in improving each passenger’s travel experience. He also hopes that it would open new doors to the expansion of the company’s modern fleet.
A380 will fly from the airport in Doha, Qatar, to London Heathrow [HEE-throw] Airport. Aside from the comfortable cabin, first-class passengers will also have access to the Premium Terminal in Doha and the Qatar Airways’ Premium Lounge [lounj] in Heathrow Airport.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· What do you think about Qatar Airway’s new airplane? Please explain your answer.
· Do you think this improvement will benefit passengers? Why or why not?
· What do you think are the usual discomforts experienced by airplane passengers?
· What other ways can airlines do to ensure that passengers are comfortable when in flight?