【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. assess /əˈsɛs/ (v) – to examine a person or situation carefully
Example: The doctor will assess my calorie intake.
2. prior to /ˈpraɪər tu/ (prep.) – before a specific time
Example: I have to give my medical history prior to the consultation with the doctor.
3. regulate /ˈrɛgyəˌleɪt/ (v.) – to control or adjust something
Example: Drinking lots of water regulates the body’s metabolism.
4. outcome /ˈaʊtˌkʌm/ (n.) – result of an activity
Example: The outcome of the study is very significant.
5. essential /əˈsɛnʃəl/ (adj.) – very important and necessary
Example: Regular exercise is essential to achieve a healthy lifestyle.
Read the text below.
Scientists discovered that getting exposed to early morning sunshine can be linked to having a lower body mass index (BMI).
BMI assesses whether a person’s weight is normal, too high, or too low. A person with a BMI of 18-25 falls on the healthy category while a person between 25 and 30 is considered overweight. An obese person has between 30-35 BMI while an extremely obese individual has 35-40.
Prior to this discovery, other studies have already claimed that sunlight helps regulate metabolism, hunger, and the sense of feeling full after a meal. But now, a recent study suggests that people have more reasons to stay outside and get more sunshine early in the morning.
The study involved 26 males and 28 females. Researchers asked the participants to wear wrist monitors to determine their light exposure. For seven days, researchers tracked the sleeping patterns, food intake, and sun exposure of the participants.
The outcome of the study shows that light exposure early in the morning lowers BMI compared to exposure later in the afternoon. This result remained true even when the participants’ age, activity level, calorie intake, and sleep timing were taken into consideration.
The study also found that the light level of 500 lux is perfect for weight loss. A lux is a unit to measure the brightness level. A 20-30 minute sunlight between 8 am until noon is also enough to have an effect in one’s BMI. Aside from contributing to weight loss, sunlight is also essential for the body’s rhythm and metabolism.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Would you expose yourself to more morning sunlight after reading the article? Why or why not?
· Do you know any other benefits of morning sunlight? Please explain.
· What do you think are the major factors related to a person’s weight?
· How can people avoid gaining too much weight?