【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. potentially /pəˈtɛnʃəli/ (adv.) – describes the possibility of something
Example: Skipping meals can potentially result to health risks.
2. slimmer /ˈslɪmər/ (n.) – a person who is into dieting
Example: Slimmers usually include food supplements in their diets.
3. vital /ˈvaɪtl/ (adj.) –important, necessary
Example: Breakfast is a vital meal of the day.
4. likely /ˈlaɪkli/ (adj.) – refers to something that can probably happen
Example: Reports say that it is likely to rain today.
5. mantra /ˈmæntrə/ (n.) – a saying that is repeated to motivate someone into doing something
Example: He often uses the saying “time is gold” as his mantra to remind him not be late.
Read the text below.
A recent survey says that eating meals at the right time can potentially enable someone to lose more weight.
According to Forza Supplements, a Western-based diet company, the most ideal time to eat breakfast is 7:11am, 12:38pm for lunch, and 6:14pm for dinner. The survey they conducted shows that early eaters tend to lose weight effectively than late eaters.
About 1000 slimmers were asked about the best time to eat meals. The survey revealed that 84% of dieters consider mealtimes vital for weight loss. Sixty percent don’t encourage skipping meals, while 76% said that breakfast was the most important meal of the day. Most dieters also recommend having a light lunch and not eating past 7 pm as calories are less likely to be burned during this time.
According to Lee Smith, Forza’s managing director, the key to successful weight loss is to avoid skipping meals. Doing so will just make a person hungrier and more likely to eat more food in later meals. He also added that eating meals late at night increases blood sugar and insulin which makes it harder to sleep.
The survey suggests that people follow the old mantra: “Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper.”
Most of the dieters agree that being an early riser is the key to losing more weight. Aside from the healthy food we take during meals, proper timing is also necessary. Observing proper timing can make a big difference in maintaining a healthy body.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Do you believe in the mantra mentioned in the article? Why or why not?
· Why do you think breakfast is the easiest meal to skip for most people?
· In what other ways can skipping meals be a disadvantage?
· How can people live a healthier lifestyle? Please explain your answer.