【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. put into action /pʊt ɪntu ˈækʃən/ (idiom) – to perform or carry out something that has been planned
Example: She puts her business plans into action.
2. trial run /ˈtraɪəl rʌn/ (n.) – a test done to see whether or not a product serves its purpose properly
Example: They did trial runs before selling the product to the public.
3. rollout /ˈroʊlˌaʊt/ (n.) – the time when a new product or service is first introduced or offered for sale
Example: The rollout of the company’s new product is scheduled next week.
4. strategy /ˈstrætɪdʒi/ (n.) – a thorough plan used to achieve a goal
Example: We have set strategies to increase the company’s profitability.
5. market value /ˈmɑrkɪt vælyu/ (n.) – the price or value at which a product or property can be sold
Example: The company’s market value decreased because of the tight competition among other companies.
Read the text below.
Starbucks will put into action its plan of making the evening menu available to its other stores in the US.
Around 40 stores currently offer the evening menu. The menu includes drinks such as beer, wine, tea, and other small meals ranging from afternoon snacks to desserts.
The company first tested the evening menu in one of its stores in Seattle [see-AT-l] in 2010. After about two years, Starbucks conducted more trial runs in 25 stores in the US.
According to Starbucks’ Chief Operating Officer Troy Alstead [AL-sted], more stores will offer the evening menu in order to increase sales. However, he mentioned that it will take a number of years before it can completely implement the rollout.
Recently, Starbucks has also added more tea choices in its menu. Stores in the US and Canada started selling Oprah Winfrey-branded teas on April 29. These teas include the black and rooibos teas, which Oprah Winfrey personally selected. Sales from these teas will be donated to some charities promoting youth education.
The company has also set other strategies to increase its market value from 57.4 billion dollars to 100 billion dollars. One of which is the mobile payment program. With this program, customers can order and pay beforehand using their smartphones.
Another strategy is the loyalty program. This program offers freebies—from free beverages to additional refills—to customers who have earned a certain number of loyalty points.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· What do you think about Starbucks’ evening menu? Please explain your answer.
· Do you think people in your country would be enticed with this new offer? Why or why not?
· What do you think will happen if food businesses do not innovate?
· How else can food businesses expand?