【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. lifespan /laɪf spæn/ (n.) – length of a person’s life
Example: The average lifespan of Americans is between 75 to 80 years old.
2. obtain /əbˈteɪn/ (v.) – to get or acquire
Example: I must obtain a medical certificate before joining a marathon.
3. correlation /ˌkɔrəˈleɪʃən/ (n.) – the relationship between two things
Example: There is a strong correlation between smoking and lung disease.
4. wear and tear /wɛər ænd tɛər/ (n.) – damage or decline of quality of something
Example: His shoes show a lot of wear and tear because of excessive running.
5. moderately /mɒdərɪtli/ (adv.) – to do something in moderation or within proper limits
Example: People should do intense activities moderately.
Read the text below.
A new study suggests that too much jogging can lead to early death.
Researchers from the Cardiovascular [kahr-dee-oh-VAS-kyuh-ler] Research Institute at the Lehigh [LEE-hahy] Valley Health Network in Pennsylvania [pen-suh l-VEYN-yuh, -VEY-nee-uh], found that too much running can result to shorter lifespan. They said that this is just as bad as doing no jogging at all.
Dr. Matsumura and his team studied 3,800 runners, both men and women, who have an average age of 46. Almost 70% of the participants regularly run more than 20 miles a week. The medical histories of all participants were obtained to determine their health conditions. They were asked about the medications they were taking and some other health issues such as high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
The results show that none of the health factors have any direct correlation to running and the short longevity of the subjects. Admittedly, the researchers themselves still cannot figure out the reason for this connection. Dr. James O’Keefe believes that the findings could be due to wear and tear on the bodies of people who run excessively.
Matsumura said that the study do not suggest that people should not run anymore. Instead, he suggested that people run moderately for two to three hours a week. He also added that runners should be updated with the latest studies linking lifespan to excessive running.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Do you agree that too much jogging can be bad for us? Why or Why not?
· Besides jogging, what other forms of exercise do you think should not be excessively done?
· What forms of exercise are common in your country?
· What do you think is the best form of exercise?