【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. one of the lucky few /wʌn ʌv ðə ˈlʌki fyu/ (idiom) – someone who is part of a small group who experiences a rare opportunity
Example: He is one of the lucky few who won the worldwide lottery.
2. sponsorship /ˈspɒnsərʃɪp/ (n.) – the arrangement in which one gives money to another person or group in return for advertisement
Example: He can now start his project upon receiving sponsorship.
3. subscriber /səbˈskraɪbər/ (n.) – a person who is registered to use a particular service on a regular basis
Example: His YouTube channel has a lot of subscribers.
4. walkthrough /ˈwɔkˌθru/ (n.) – a step-by step guide on how something is done
Example: The video walkthrough helped him finish the game easily.
5. run /rʌn/ (v.) – to manage or handle something
Example: My father runs his own company.
Read the text below.
A 17-year-old college student in the UK earns more than £24,000 a year with the sponsorship he gets for his YouTube videos.
Fred Pye [pahy] is one of the lucky few who get paid by uploading videos on YouTube. Every month, Pye makes about £2,000 ($3,300). He uploads videos of himself on his Youtube channel, NoughtPointFourLIVE [nawt-point-fawr-liv] as he plays video games. Today, Pye’s channel has more than 100,000 subscribers and gains millions of new viewers every month.
Pye became a Youtube celebrity through his video walkthroughs for the famous game Grand Theft Auto V (GTA V). In his videos, he shows how to play the game while giving tips on how to acquire game trophies.
GTA V is an action-adventure game wherein the player’s goal is to create a criminal empire. The game itself is famous worldwide. And because the game has a large number of users, Pye’s videos have obtained an even larger audience. Pye believes that the reason why he has so many viewers is that he shows how to finish the game faster and how to discover its secret bonuses.
Pye earns so much money because of the advertisements in his videos and the number of views the videos get. The more views his videos get, the more sponsorships he receives.
Being a college student, Pye admits that balancing his studies and his YouTube channel is difficult. Nonetheless, he is able to properly manage his time for studying and for running his channel. Also, his parents support him because he is still able to prioritize his studies even with his online fame.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Do you think Fred Pye can make a career out of what he does right now? Why or why not?
· Would you want to be a YouTube celebrity? Why or why not?
· Do you think earning money through online means is a stable profession? Please explain your answer.
· Do you think online advertisements like those in YouTube videos are effective? Please explain your answer.