【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. establish /ɪˈstæblɪʃ/ (v.) – to build or set up something
Example: A new amusement park was established near the city.
2. demolition /ˌdɛməˈlɪʃən, ˌdimə-/ (n.) – the act of destructing or demolishing something
Example: The government announced the demolition of the buildings.
3. advertisement /ædˈvɜrtɪsmənt/ (n.) – a paid public announcement
Example: I saw my favorite actor’s clothing advertisement yesterday.
4. expand /ɪkˈspænd/ (v.) – to increase or spread the scope
Example: The company expanded its services to all parts of Asia.
5. feature /ˈfitʃər/ (v.) – to include or to be composed of something
Example: The roller coaster features a 5400-feet track that goes around the whole theme park.
Read the text below.
Universal Studios plans to build its third Hollywood movie-themed park in Asia.
In partnership with Beijing Tourism Group, Universal Studios is set to establish another theme park in Beijing. This new Hollywood movie-inspired theme park will be located in the south of Tongzou [TAWNG-JOH] District, covering over 51 acres of land. The facility will be made available to public by 2018.
This project is backed by the country’s National Development and Reform Commission, which has filed an application to start the project. According to reports, demolition of buildings has already started in Tongzou in preparation for the theme park’s construction by the last quarter of the year.
Universal Studios will be the one responsible for the branding, intellectual property, technology, and management of the theme park. According to reports, the company also posted advertisements to hire Mandarin-speaking Chinese staff. The Beijing Tourism Group, on the other hand, will provide the land to establish the theme park. This local tourism group will also invest an unspecified amount to start the project.
According to the news, Beijing’s local government would like to create a monorail that will connect the theme park to China’s capital city.
Aside from Universal Studios, Disney also plans to expand in China. The Walt Disney Company will be opening a $4.4-billion resort in Shanghai. News reports say the resort will feature a theme park, two hotels, and transportation hubs. This will be the first Disney Resort in mainland China and second only to Hong Kong Disneyland.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Would you go to Universal Studios Beijing? Why or why not?
· What do you think would be the impact of this new theme park to China?
· Why do you think many companies expand their businesses abroad?
· What are the positive effects of globalization?