【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. conceal [kuh n-SEEL] (v.) – to hide and prevent something from being noticed
Example: The man concealed his emotion by wearing a mask.
2. stare [stair] (v.) – to look at a person or an object in a focused way
Example: The teacher stared at the noisy student.
3. dismay [dis-MEY] (n.) – an emotion showing disappointment and sadness
Example: The student saw his parents’ dismay over his low grades.
4. frown [froun] (v.) – to make a facial expression that shows anger or unhappiness
Example: My father frowned while reading crime stories in the newspaper.
5. irritating [IR-i-tey-ting] (adj.) – having qualities that annoy people and causes mild anger
Example: Irritating customers keep on asking for dishes that are not on the menu.
Read the text below.
A Japanese scientist aims to help people conceal emotions through an eyewear with “digital eyes”.
Hirotaka Osawa of Tsukuba University invented the device called “AgencyGlass.” His desire to create an eyewear that can show social behaviors of humans has led to this invention.
Instead of having lenses, the device has two tiny television screens that display the recorded eye expression of the user. The plastic lens frame hides the users’ eyes, without completely blocking their vision. The emotion to be shown by the digital eyes can be set beforehand. Thus, the user will not have to worry about how his or her actual eyes look like.
Motion sensors in the eyewear and an external camera carried by the user make the digital eyes function like real human eyes. The two organic light-emitting diode [DAHY-ohd] (OLED) screens will appear to be staring at the things the sensors detect even if the wearer is asleep. The device costs $290, weighing around 100 grams, and has an hour-long battery power.
Basically, AgencyGlass’ main purpose is to help lessen eye movements just like how gadgets make tasks easier. For instance, a teacher can express his dismay for students without needing to frown. Osawa suggests that flight attendants who deal with irritating passengers can also greatly benefit from the device.
Osawa emphasized the importance of showing care to others especially in the service sector in which socialization is frequent. However, showing a kind and understanding mood to everyone is difficult for some people. The AgencyGlass will help people solve this difficulty of behaving properly toward others.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Would you buy and use AgencyGlass? Why or why not?
· How would you feel while talking to someone wearing the device?
· Do you agree that handling your emotions can be tiring? Kindly explain.
· In what situations do you think is it necessary to hide ones emotions? Kindly explain.