【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. dub /dʌb/ (v.) – to assign a name or title to something or someone
Example: The customer dubs the pizza restaurant the worst in town.
2. texture /ˈtɛks tʃər/ (n.) – refers to how something looks and feels
Example: The cake has a spongy texture.
3. evaporate /ɪˈvæp əˌreɪt/ (v.) – to transform from liquid into steam or gas
Example: The water evaporated when she poured it on a heating pan.
4. elastic /ɪˈlæs tɪk/ (adj.) – able to return to normal shape after being stretched
Example: She likes to wear elastic shorts when she exercises because they do not loosen up.
5. property /ˈprɒp ər ti/ (n.) – an attribute or element that is part of the quality of something
Example: The properties of sugar allow it to be used in a variety of food.
Read the text below.
A food research dubs mozzarella [mot-suh-REL-luh] the best cheese for making pizza.
The study intended to discover which cheese has the best quality when cooked on pizza. Food scientists from the University of Auckland, New Zealand pursued this research with an interest to use scientific data and methods to discover the best pizza cheese.
In the study’s experiment, a number of pizzas were cooked, with each having a different type of pizza cheese. Using a camera and computer software, the researchers observed the quality of each cheese while it was being cooked. They particularly focused on the elasticity, amounts of oil and water, as well as the brownish texture of each cheese.
Results show that among all the cheeses, mozzarella was the best-cooked because of its high elasticity and bubbling effect. As the pizza is heating up, water from the cheese evaporates and steam rises up. The rising steam causes the cheese to swell into bubbles while it is cooking. Because mozzarella is the most elastic out of all the other cheeses, its bubbles continue to be cooked at a high temperature without popping. The heat then gives the bubbles a crusty, brownish texture.
The researchers stated that their findings provide a better understanding of how different properties of an ingredient affect the quality and taste of food. This can inspire ways to improve methods of cooking and preparing food.
Despite its findings, the study does not claim mozzarella as the key ingredient that makes pizza delicious. This is because other ingredients such as meat, vegetables, and sauce were not considered in the study.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· How do you think this study can affect businesses that sell pizza? Kindly discuss with your tutor.
· What else can be the importance of this study? Briefly explain your answer.
· Why is it important to know and understand the properties of food?
· What do you think are the things that affect the taste of food? Please discuss your answer.