【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. upcoming /ˈʌpˌkʌm ɪŋ/ (adj.) – referring to something that will happen soon
Example: The team is getting ready for the upcoming competition.
2. handicapped /ˈhæn diˌkæpt/ (adj.) – being in a condition that limits one’s body to do certain activities
Example: The gym hired special trainers for handicapped members.
3. headway /ˈhɛdˌweɪ / (n.) – progress or advancement of something
Example: The team’s recent win is a good headway.
4. accessibility /ækˈsɛs ə bɪl ɪ ti/ (n.) – the quality of being easily or readily available
Example: Buildings have to place inclined pathways at their entrances for accessibility.
5. forum /ˈfɔr əm, ˈfoʊr əm/ (n.) – a meeting in which everyone can express opinion on an issue or discussion
Example: The mayor invited all the townspeople on a forum about replacing the old school with a public gym.
Read the text below.
Preparations for the upcoming Paralympic Games in 2016 exceed expectations, according to the International Paralympic Committee (IPC).
In 2014, the Rio 2016 Organising Committee met with the IPC in two project review meetings to discuss the development of the facilities for handicapped athletes. The IPC has stated that the committee’s headway was both impressive and reassuring.
The committee presented strategies to address and resolve construction delays in the first meeting, which was held in May 2014. Rio de Janeiro’s [REE-oh dey zhuh-NAIR-oh, -NEER-oh, juh-, dee, duh] city government also revealed its plan to develop a long-term accessibility program for the city. The IPC was then given updates on the progress of both the construction plans and the accessibility program in the second meeting in November last year.
The National Paralympic Committees (NPC) has also praised the organizing committee’s efforts. The NPCs were particularly impressed by the arrangement of the first NPC Open Day in April 2014. During the Open Day, the committee invited delegates from several NPCs around the world to visit the areas that will be used in the Paralympic Games. A forum on ways to further improve the facilities also took place.
The committee arranged the second NPC Open Day in December, wherein NPCs delegates were given updates on the committee’s progress.
The Paralympic Games will begin in September 2016, during the Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. It will be the first Paralympic Games to take place in South America. The committee is setting up 21 competition sites for Paralympic events. Nine of these venues were already constructed in past sporting events. Meanwhile, six new areas are under construction. Another six areas were constructed as temporary venues. Test events will be staged beginning August of this year.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Why do you think the Rio 2016 Organising Committee is working very hard to improve the Paralympic facilities? Please explain your answer.
· Do you think your country can host the Paralympic games? Why or why not?
· What is the importance of holding Olympic Games for disabled people? Please explain your answer.
· How does playing sports help disabled people? Please explain your answer.