【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. pickup /ˈpɪkˌʌp/ (n.) – a small truck with an open part at the back
Example: Her dad bought a pickup truck last week.
2. headline /ˈhɛdˌlaɪn/ (v.) – to be the most important thing in an event or show
Example: Celebrities headlined the event.
3. slump /slʌmp/ (n.) – a drop or decline in something
Example: The company faced its worst sales slump last year.
4. maneuver /məˈnu vər/ (n.) – a change in direction of a vehicle
Example: He tested the car’s maneuver on the road.
5. bag /bæg/ (v.) – to win an award or prize
Example: The carmaker bagged two awards in the competition.
Read the text below.
Pickup trucks headline the 2015 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS), the largest auto show in Detroit, Michigan [MISH-i-guh n].
Trucks ranging from midsize to full-size were among the 750 new vehicles showcased to a total of 808,000 attendees. With an average of 100,000 people present per day, NAIAS remains to be one of the most prestigious exhibits in the world. The attendance for this year’s NAIAS was higher by 5,500 visitors than the attendance in 2014.
One of the trucks that gained popularity is Nissan’s Titan. In an attempt to avoid further sales slump of its regular full-size pickup Titan, Nissan made big changes for its latest model. The designers said the gladiator’s armor and the American football players’ uniform inspired the new model’s fierce look. As a result, the vehicle appears bulkier and heavier than the past models. Despite its size, Nissan assures ease of maneuver and more fuel efficiency in the 2016 Titan.
Nissan sold only about 12,527 of its Titan models in 2014, while its major competitors sold more than 100,000. With 753,851 sold pickups, Ford’s F-series dominated last year’s sales.
Other pickups that garnered attention came from known manufacturers like Chevrolet, Toyota, and Hyundai. Chevrolet’s Colorado bagged the Best Pickup Truck of 2015 during the event. According to the award’s presenters, Colorado has the best midsize pickup truck design and performance at an affordable price.
Another popular midsize truck in NAIAS is Toyota’s Tacoma. The truck’s 2016 edition includes a mount for GoPro camera, engine upgrade, and other enhancements. On the other hand, Hyundai’s Santa Cruz shows a unique design that features a sports utility vehicle look.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· If given the chance, would you attend the NAIAS 2016? Why or why not?
· Would you like to own a pickup truck? Kindly explain.
· What car brand do you prefer the most? Why?
· What kind of car do you have or would you like to own? Why did you choose that?