【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. promote / prəˈmoʊt / (v.) – to emphasize or focus on something
Example: The advertisement promotes the advantages of drinking beer.
2. stimulate / ˈstɪm yəˌleɪt / (v.) – to bring about an action or make something happen
Example: Coffee stimulates the brain that causes people to keep awake.
3. moderation / ˌmɒd əˈreɪ ʃən / (n.) – the state of being in a non-excessive amount
Example: My doctor advised me to drink alcohol in moderation.
4. encouraging / ɛnˈkɜr ɪdʒɪŋ / (adj.) – making one feel hopeful; inspiring
Example: The continuous decline in the price of wine is encouraging for wine lovers.
5. maximize / ˈmæk səˌmaɪz / (v.) – to make use of something in the best or fullest way possible
Example: Planning ahead can help you maximize your time during production.
Read the text below.
Two Dutch companies are producing a type of beer that promotes one of the beverage’s benefits—improving one’s creativity.
CP+B Copenhagen [koh-puh n-HEY-guh n, -HAH-, KOH-puh n-hey-, -hah-] and Rocket Brewing partnered to develop a beer called “Problem Solver.” This beer is created specifically to help drinkers of different weights reach their creative peak, a state in which people generate more ideas and solve problems. According to a 2012 study published in the journal Consciousness and Cognition, creative peak can be attained by having a blood alcohol level of 0.075%.
Some companies now allow drinking beer in the office. One of which is Arnold Worldwide, a famous advertising agency in Boston, Massachusetts. The agency allows drinking beer while at work because it stimulates creative discussions among employees.
Other companies that allow alcoholic beverages inside the office include J. Walter Thompson, Droga5, and Kirshenbaum, Bond, Senecal + Partners. All companies are ad agencies composed of creative employees.
Aside from stimulating creativity, drinking beer also has other benefits. One is that it lowers risks of getting heart problems because beers are rich in Vitamin B6.
Also, drinking beer in moderation can prevent Type 2 diabetes because it increases good cholesterol in the body. Beer also contains antioxidants that help prevent cells in the body from being damaged.
While these health benefits are encouraging, experts still do not recommend drinking beer excessively as it may cause harm to different systems of the body. Thus, experts suggest that people drink beer in moderation in order to maximize its health benefits.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Would you consider drinking beer if you want to enhance your creativity? Why or why not?
· Do you think the “Problem Solver” beer would become a hit in your country? Why is that so?
· What are the other ways to improve one’s creativity?
· In what situations do you think creativity is useful? Kindly discuss your answer.