【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. soon-to-be /sun tu bi/ (adj.) – expected in the future
Example: The Dubai Eye is soon-to-be the world’s biggest Ferris wheel; it will open in 2018.
2. glitz /glɪts/ (n.) – attractive or extravagant display
Example: Golden Casino was full of glitz last night.
3. blockbuster /ˈblɒkˌbʌs tər/ (n.) – something that is successful and very popular
Example: The film proved to be a blockbuster with its high earnings.
4. long-running /lɔŋ, lɒŋ ˈrʌn ɪŋ/ (adj.) – continuing or occurring for a long time
Example: The long-running game show will finally end after airing for ten years.
5. house /haʊz/ (v.) – to provide an area or space for something
Example: The amusement park houses 12 rides and various booths.
Read the text below.
Hollywood films and British television programs will be the highlight of London’s soon-to-be tourist attraction.
The London Paramount Entertainment Resort is expected to be the latest and grandest theme park in Kent, United Kingdom. Set to open in 2020, the park will feature rides, sporting facilities, a water park, an entertainment street, and a hotel with about 5,000 rooms.
According to project developer London Resort Company Holdings, the park will embody the glitz of Hollywood and the rich culture of Great Britain. The blockbuster films of Paramount Pictures will be featured in the rides and other park facilities. The films included are Mission: Impossible, Star Trek, The Godfather, and The Italian Job.
British Broadcasting Corporation’s popular programs such as Doctor Who, Sherlock, and Top Gear will also be featured in the park. The programs are expected to draw more tourists, especially the fans of these series throughout the world.
Doctor Who is a long-running British science fiction series about a humanoid alien traveling through time and space. Sherlock is a modern adaptation of the fictional stories of detective Sherlock Holmes. Top Gear is a program that caters to fans of cars and automobiles.
The construction of the park will cost three billion dollars, excluding the purchase of the location. The site measures 388 acres and previously housed the largest cement plant in the United Kingdom. The London Paramount Entertainment Resort estimates to have more than 50,000 visitors daily and to provide about 27,000 jobs.
Paramount Pictures previously operated theme parks in the United States and in Canada. The company sold the parks in 2006 to Cedar Fair Entertainment.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· What program or film would you like to be featured in an amusement park? Kindly explain.
· Would you like to visit London Paramount Park when it opens? Why or why not?
· What makes a program or film popular?
· Do you enjoy watching shows or movies for long hours? Why or why not?