【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. breeder /ˈbri dər/ (n.) – someone who reproduces animals, usually for business
Example: He was searching for a reputable dog breeder.
2. mate /meɪt/ (n.) – a partner of an animal for breeding
Example: Bears find mates during the spring season.
3. impregnation /ɪm prɛgˈneɪ ʃən/ (n.) – the act of making a female pregnant
Example: The cow had a successful impregnation.
4. pasture /ˈpæs tʃər/ (n.) – a land area with grass where animals can feed on
Example: The boy brought his flock of sheep in the pasture.
5. cull /kʌl/ (v.) – to choose among the given options
Example: He culled the best cattle for his meat production business.
Read the text below.
A French website helps breeders find the right mate for their cows online.
Launched by a group of breeding associations in France, “trouverlebontaureau.com” [TOO-ve le bohn TOO-hu] or “find the right bull” helps farmers breed their ideal cows. Just like in dating sites, each cow has its own profile that includes pictures and information. Farmers can choose among the different profiles and contact the owner of their preferred bull.
Every breeder has his or her own preference. Among the factors breeders consider are the cattle’s age, race, and family tree or genealogy. The bulls’ profiles also contain information describing its features and detailing its previous impregnations. Every profile displays a rating based on its successful impregnations and its calves’ growth rate. Also, the cows are categorized whether they are for milk production, also known as “dairy cattle,” or for meat-producing beef cattle.
The process starts with the breeder searching for the cattle that matches his or her preferences. Once the choice has been made, the breeder will then contact the cattle’s owner. Then, an arrangement will be made for the bull’s owner to send the bull’s semen sample to the partnered breeder. Through artificial insemination, the breeder grows a new herd of cattle.
In America, beef has become expensive due to the meat’s limited supply. Though analysts expect a small increase in supply by 2015, consumers may have to wait until 2017 for a sufficient cattle supply. In 2013, cattle feed prices suddenly rose and pasture drought happened in the Midwestern regions. These events caused farmers to cull its cattle population.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Do you approve of breeding cattle through “find the right bull” website? Why or why not?
· If you were to make a similar website, what animal would be your target market? Kindly discuss.
· Would you like to start a business in the cattle industry? Why or why not?
· How popular are beef products in Japan?