【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. username /ˈyu zərˌneɪm/ (n.) – a person’s online ID
Example: His username includes his initials.
2. generate /ˈdʒɛn əˌreɪt/ (v.) – to cause or produce something
Example: The new blog post is generating a lot of views.
3. credential /krɪˈdɛn ʃəl/ (n.) – details that make a person credible
Example: My dating profile has credentials like my educational background.
4. over the top /ˈoʊ vər ðə tɒp/ (idiom) – referring to going beyond what is commonly acceptable
Example: His self-description is over the top.
5. trace /treɪs/ (v.) – to follow back
Example: She was able to trace the information back to its source.
Read the text below.
A good username is a key to successful online dating, a research published in the journal Evidence Based Medicine revealed.
Dr. Sameer Chaudhry and Professor Khalid Khan found that aside from the user’s self-description and photos, the username plays a big role in generating interest in the user’s online dating profile. According to their research, profiles with usernames that include words that indicate “fun” are more likely to be viewed.
In online dating websites, users must create a profile that includes self-descriptions and photos. The higher the number of views a user gets, the more chances the user meets someone they like. Chaudhry and Khan researched over 3000 published studies about online dating from various science journals.
Aside from usernames, the “realness” of the dating profile is also a factor that users consider before sending a message. People respond to profiles with good credentials, but not the ones that are over the top. This is according to a study made by a group of researchers from the University of Iowa. The researchers made eight online profiles. These profiles were shown to 317 adults, composed of 150 men and 167 women.
In the study, the participants had to choose which of the eight profiles they would most likely contact. The profile that received the most views was a profile that showed a humble self-image. It also provided details that could be traced back to a real person.
In 2014, the Pew Research Center stated that about five percent of American couples met their partners online. Compared to their study on online dating habits back in 2005, most Americans are more open to finding love online nowadays.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· After reading this article, would you want to try using an online dating website? Why do you say so?
· Why do you think users prefer a profile that shows a humble self-image?
· Do you agree on the saying “first impression lasts”? Why or why not?
· When you meet new people, do you highlight your good qualities to impress them? Why or why not?