【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. modified / ˈmɑːdəˌfaɪd / (adj.) – referring to something whose parts have been changed
Example: The coach’s modified exercise gave the team a hard time.
2. come up with / kʌm ʌp wɪθ / (idiom) – to be able to discover or create something
Example: The scientists have come up with a new experiment.
3. rehydration / ˌrihaɪˈdreɪʃən / (n.) – the process of restoring the water that the body lost
Example: Rehydration is important after a tiring workout.
4. replenish / rɪˈplɛn ɪʃ / (v.) – to refill something
Example: Marco ate a chocolate bar to replenish his energy.
5. naturally / ˈnætʃ ər ə li / (adv.) – without being changed; by nature
Example: Raw chocolate is naturally bitter.
Read the text below.
Cornell University has created a type of chocolate milk that can replace protein shakes after a workout.
The university’s Athletic Department and College of Agriculture and Life Sciences have teamed up to create the modified chocolate milk called the Big Red Refuel. This eight-ounce chocolate milk contains 16 grams of protein and 230 calories. This amount should be enough for a person weighing 150 to 160 pounds, who needs around 20 grams of protein for muscle replenishment.
After observing that athletes tend to overeat after a tough workout, the researchers began looking for other healthier post-workout drinks. With the help of nutritional specialists, they developed the drink’s formula using a computer software. After a series of experiments, the researchers finally came up with the Big Red Refuel, which is very similar to the chocolate drink served with school lunches.
The researchers claim that the contents of the chocolate milk are enough to provide all the nutrients that the body needs after exercising. The drink’s protein helps rebuild muscles; its water aids in rehydration, while its sugar and carbohydrates replenish the energy burned during the workout.
Other than being a good post-workout drink, the cocoa powder used in chocolate drinks naturally has its health benefits. Cocoa powder contains a great amount of flavonoids, which are high in antioxidants. A tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder also contains iron, manganese [MANG-guh-nees], magnesium [mag-NEE-zee-uh m], and zinc.
Researchers from the Harvard Medical School also found that unsweetened chocolate, especially dark chocolate, can help reduce blood pressure and lower the risk of heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Would you prefer drinking chocolate milk to protein shakes after a workout? Why or why not?
· Do you think the Big Red Refuel will be popular in your country? Why is that so?
· What are the disadvantages of working out or exercising too much?
· How else can a person replenish the energy burned after working out?