【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. snoring / ˈsnɔːrɪŋ / (n.) – the condition of breathing loudly or noisily while sleeping
Example: I can’t stand my sister’s snoring every night.
2. bothersome / ˈbɒð ər səm / (adj.) – causing irritation or trouble
Example: The dog’s barking can be bothersome at night.
3. shortage / ˈʃɔr tɪdʒ / (n.) – the state or condition of lacking something
Example: A shortage of sleep has negative health effects.
4. strap / stræp / (n.) – a material used to wrap or hold something together
Example: He tightened the strap of his watch.
5. blockage / ˈblɒk ɪdʒ / (n.) – anything that prevents the movement of something in a certain path
Example: The blockage in his nose makes it hard for him to breathe.
Read the text below.
A company has created a new tool that can help stop snoring, thus promoting better sleep.
Snoring is not only bothersome; it can also cause serious danger to one’s health. In the United States, over 18 million Americans who snore have obstructive sleep apnea [AP-nee-uh] (OSA), a sleeping disorder. People with OSA are usually unaware that they repeatedly stop breathing in their sleep.
OSA occurs when a person’s airway gets blocked when the throat, tongue, and muscles relax. A person with this sleeping disorder may experience a shortage of oxygen that can last for a minute or longer.
To help treat OSA, a company called MySnoringSolution has produced a high-tech, lightweight, and comfortable chin strap that can be used while sleeping. A study published by the Eastern Virginia Medical School’s Division of Sleep Medicine found that wearing a simple chin strap like that of MySnoringSolution can treat OSA effectively.
The chin strap prevents airway blockage by supporting a person’s lower jaw and tongue. Many people who have used this product say that they had better sleep, ultimately resulting in better health.
Other known treatments for OSA include using a positive airway pressure device, which is common for people with moderate to severe sleep apnea. This device involves wearing a mask over one's nose to allow pressurized air to flow into a person’s throat. Using oral appliances is also one of the treatments for OSA. Unlike the previous device, oral appliances are worn directly in the mouth.
While these devices are effective, they can be quite expensive. On the other hand, a MySnoringSolution chin strap is relatively cheap, as it costs only about $119.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Do you think many people in your country will find this device useful? Why or why not?
· How else do you think snoring can be prevented?
· What other sleeping disorders do you know of?
· What do you do to improve the quality of your sleep?