【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. franchise / ˈfræn tʃaɪz / (n.) – any business that is licensed to sell a product
Example: Our company bought a coffee shop franchise.
2. upcoming / ˈʌpˌkʌm ɪŋ / (adj.) – referring to something that is about to occur or happen
Example: I’m excited about the upcoming movie of my favorite actor.
3. villain / ˈvɪl ən / (n.) – a character known to do bad things in a story
Example: Everyone hated the villain in the television series.
4. customizable / ˌkʌstəˈmaɪzəbəl / (adj.) – having the capacity of being changed to fit specific requirements
Example: This customizable toy can be painted in any color.
5. workshop / ˈwɜrkˌʃɒp / (n.) – an area where things are done or fixed
Example: My dad is making a table in his workshop.
Read the text below.
A new LEGO video game is set to be launched in September of this year.
The upcoming game called LEGO Dimensions aims to merge interactive video gaming with actual LEGO brick building. Traveller’s Tales developed the said game, while Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment published it. This action-adventure video game will be available for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Wii U, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.
LEGO Dimensions will involve characters from different LEGO sets, highlighting a masked villain that breaks into different worlds. The game is created in such a way that the player has LEGO figures and a portal to play with. Among the game’s characters are those from various popular movies and comic books, which include The Lord of the Rings, DC Comics, and other well-known franchises.
The game’s starter pack includes LEGO bricks, a LEGO toy pad for constructing mini figures, and The LEGO Movie’s LEGO Getaway. It also contains figures of Gandalf the Grey, Wyldstyle [wahyld-stahyl], Batman, and the Batmobile from The LEGO Movie. Other special and customizable figures will also be available in the expansion packs.
LEGO is one of the most popular toys in the world. Its name came from “leg godt,” two Danish words that mean “play well.” The company started in a small carpenter’s workshop in Denmark in 1932. After more than 80 years, it has now become one of the world’s largest toy manufacturers.
This toy has become popular not only among children, but also among young adults because it promotes problem solving in a non-complicated manner. Some psychologists even use this toy during therapy sessions.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Given the chance, would you buy the LEGO Dimensions game? Why or why not?
· What other franchises would you want LEGO Dimensions to feature?
· Do you agree that toys can enhance skills such as problem solving? Why?
· What are the other advantages of letting kids play with toys like LEGO?