【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. interact / ˌɪn tərˈækt / (v.) – to speak with or do something with others
Example: Paolo is afraid to interact with people he doesn’t know.
2. romance / roʊˈmæns / (n.) – the emotional attraction between two people
Example: Most people spend much time and effort in search of romance.
3. unattractive / ˈʌn əˈtræk tɪv / (adj.) – not pleasing to the sight
Example: The dog was unattractive but very loyal.
4. therapy / ˈθɛr ə pi / (n.) – a treatment, usually a process, to cure a disease, injury, or disorder
Example: He was in therapy for months after the accident.
5. pet / pɛt / (v.) – to caress or touch lightly
Example: My sister likes to pet our dog.
Read the text below.
A study finds that dogs play an important role in making human connections.
This came from a survey done by Direct Line, a British insurance company. The survey, which involved 2,000 British adults, aimed to determine how having dogs as pets affects the way people interact or connect with each other.
According to the survey, 56% of the British people find those with dogs to be friendlier compared with other people. Also, 46% think that making friends is easier when they walk their dogs. Forty-six percent also agree that people who love animals are more attractive.
When it came to romance, some of the surveyed British adults said that walking their dogs helped them find love. The survey showed that while walking their dogs, 28% found love at a park, 10% around the town or city, and 8% at the beach.
However, one out of four people expressed that they would be turned off if they did not like a person’s dog. The survey results revealed that 20% of the women find men with small dogs to be unattractive. The same result is true for men, with more than 30% thinking that women with big dogs are not attractive.
Other than improving one’s social life, dogs can also help lift the spirits of hospital patients. A Canadian organization called Vancouver Ecovillage offers a Therapy Dog program to hospitals. The organization trains dogs and brings them to hospitals to be petted by patients. This program specifically targets long-term patients who want to get distracted from pain and sadness.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Do you agree that people with pet dogs are friendlier than other people? Why or why not?
· Do you approve of using dogs in therapy? Why is that so?
· What is the importance of healthy interaction among humans?
· How else can one’s social life be improved?