【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. projector / prəˈdʒɛk tər / (n.) – a device that shows an image or a film onto a surface
Example: The cinema bought a new projector.
2. strategy / ˈstræt ɪ dʒi / (n.) – a method carefully planned to achieve a specific goal
Example: The company is devising a new marketing strategy.
3. magnify / ˈmæg nəˌfaɪ / (v.) – to make something look bigger
Example: The camera lenses can magnify small insects.
4. genre / ˈʒɑn rə / (n.) – a specific type of any form of art, music, or literature
Example: Horror is Karen’s favorite movie genre.
5. homemade / ˈhoʊmˈmeɪd / (adj.) – created at home and not in a store or factory
Example: I want to learn how to create homemade pizza.
Read the text below.
Pizza Hut has released a box that can be converted into a movie projector.
Pizza Hut’s Blockbuster Box, which was designed by marketing company Ogilvy [OH-guh l-vee] & Mather [MATH -er], was part of the company’s marketing strategy. The pizza box contains a special plastic pizza table that separates the box from the pizza. This pizza table contains a lens, which is inserted into a hole at the side of the box.
For the movie projector to work, a smartphone needs to be placed inside the pizza box, specifically at its center. The lens then magnifies and projects whatever is shown on the smartphone screen. The box also contains a printed quick response code, which enables customers to download a free movie on their smartphones.
The Blockbuster Box comes in four different types, each with a specific movie genre. The types of boxes include the Fully Loaded, Slice Night, Hot and Ready, and Anchovy Armageddon, which are for action movies, scary movies, romance movies, and sci-fi movies, respectively.
Pizza Hut’s Blockbuster Box is available only in Hong Kong. Nonetheless, there are ways to create a homemade projector. SuperSite for Windows, a website for business technology professionals, shared instructions on how to create a cinema projector using a shoebox and a magnifying glass.
To create the projector, one must cut a hole in one side of the shoebox, where the lens from the magnifying glass will be attached using tape. One can use a paper clip to create a stand for the smartphone. Lastly, one must place the smartphone inside the box and check whether what is shown on the screen is properly projected.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Would you want the Blockbuster Box to be available in your country? Why or why not?
· Do you think this strategy will help boost the sales of Pizza Hut in Hong Kong? Why?
· If you were to reuse a pizza box, how would you use it?
· What can be the other uses of a pizza box?