【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. iconic / aɪˈkɒn ɪk / (adj.) – highly respected
Example: The artist’s costume became iconic after he became widely popular.
2. nominate / ˈnɒm əˌneɪt / (v.) – to propose a recipient for an award or honor
Example: She was nominated for performer of the year.
3. vie / vaɪ / (v.) – to be in competition for an award or title
Example: The company is vying for the top spot in terms of sales.
4. hit / hɪt / (n.) – a success
Example: The song was a hit among teenagers.
5. audience / ˈɔ di əns / (n.) – listeners or viewers of a performance
Example: The audience cheered throughout the concert.
Read the text below.
Michael Jackson's iconic album “Thriller” enjoys another milestone—selling more than 100 million copies worldwide, with more than 30 million copies in the United States alone.
This is just the most recent achievement in the album's history. When it was released in 1982, it was at the top of the Billboard 200 album chart for 37 weeks, and won eight Grammy awards out of the 12 it was nominated for. In addition, seven of its songs made it to the top ten of the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart.
Selling more than 30 million copies in the United States earned the album a 30-times platinum status from the Recording Industry Association of America. For every one million albums sold, one platinum status is earned.
In spite of the latest record set by “Thriller”, there were albums by other artists that were close to breaking it. Vying for the top spot is The Eagles' greatest hits collection, which has sold 29 million copies. A possible contender in the future is Adele's album "21", which has sold 11 million copies in the United States since 2011. Her album "25" also sold more than five million copies less than a month after its release. For the moment, however, the King of Pop remains on his throne.
The “Thriller” album contains some of Michael Jackson's most famous songs, such as "Thriller", "Billie Jean", "Beat It", and "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'”. It was created to appeal to a broad audience, which explains its massive global popularity. A 25th anniversary edition was released in 2008.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· How would you describe a good singer?
· How are successful artists honored in your country?
· What should artists do to enjoy a long and successful career?
· Please give one singer who is considered successful in your country. Why is he/she successful?