【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. deploy /dɪˈplɔɪ/ (v.) – to send out someone or something for a particular purpose
Example: The government deployed soldiers to help the citizens affected by the typhoon.
2. initiative /ɪˈnɪʃ i ə tɪv/ (n.) – a plan or activity
Example: Officials proposed a new initiative to improve security in the city.
3. collaboration /kəˌlæb əˈreɪ ʃən/ (n.) – the work two or more people do to achieve something
Example: Police and schools formed a collaboration to protect students from any harm during school hours.
4. milestone /ˈmaɪlˌstoʊn/ (n.) – an important stage of progress
Example: The installation of surveillance cameras around the city is a major milestone for the police.
5. avenue /ˈæv əˌnyu/ (n.) – something that gives a way to achieve a goal
Example: Ensuring peace and order in the city can be a great avenue to strengthen tourism.
Read the text below.
Chinese police officers were deployed to patrol the streets of Rome and Milan.
As part of a two-week experiment, four Chinese police officers alongside their Italian counterparts made rounds in Rome and Milan to ensure the safety of Chinese tourists. The four tandems were deployed in famous Italian destinations such as the Colosseum in Rome and the Gothic cathedral in Milan. The Chinese officers wore the same uniforms that they wear in China so that Chinese nationals could immediately recognize them.
Italy has become one of the most popular travel destinations for Chinese tourists, with nearly three million of them visiting the European country yearly. The initiative to assign Chinese officers in Rome and Milan aimed to help numerous Chinese visitors feel safe. In the past, Chinese tourists have been the target of criminals and gangs in Italy.
According to Italian interior minister Angelino Alfano, the move was the first of its kind in Europe. He added that China and Italy might create other forms of collaboration in the future if the initiative worked well.
Alessandro Pansa, Italy police chief, noted that the experiment was a significant milestone in fighting crime. He also mentioned that the cooperation between the two countries is an effective avenue to exchange information and share resources that can potentially fight terrorism.
Liao Jinrong, head of the Chinese International Cooperation Bureau, commented that the move was a historic moment for both countries.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Do you think it is a good move to deploy Chinese police officers to secure the safety of Chinese tourists in Italy? Why or why not?
· Would you also like your country to do this kind of initiative? Why or why not?
· Aside from the police, who else is responsible for ensuring peace and order in an area?
· How can ordinary citizens help make tourists feel safe in their country?