【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. remedy / ˈrɛm ɪ di / (n.) – something that treats a condition
Example: Mothers usually know a few home remedies for common diseases like colds.
2. medication / ˌmɛd ɪˈkeɪ ʃən / (n.) – medical treatment, usually in the form of drugs
Example: The doctor advised him to take his medication daily.
3. symptom / ˈsɪmp təm / (n.) – a sign or indication of a disease
Example: High fever is a symptom common in many diseases.
4. reduction / rɪˈdʌk ʃən / (n.) – the state of being lessened or diminished
Example: Researchers are focusing on the reduction of flu cases in the country.
5. dementia / dɪˈmɛn ʃə / (n.) – a brain disease characterized by severe damage in brain cells and loss of several mental abilities
Example: My grandmother, who has dementia, needs to have a caretaker with her all the time.
Read the text below.
A new study found that drinking cherry juice is a good remedy for high blood pressure.
Researchers from the Northumbria University in England found that drinking cherry juice has as much benefit as taking medication in lowering a person’s blood pressure. The study was the first to examine the effects of cherry juice on blood pressure, according to the study’s co-author, Professor Glyn Howatson. The research was funded by the US Cherry Marketing Institute and findings were published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
For the study, the researchers tested 15 men who were showing early symptoms of hypertension or high blood pressure. Some of the participants were given a 60ml glass of Montmorency cherry juice mixed with water. The others were given a placebo drink—a drink that looked exactly like cherry juice.
The researchers found that the cherry juice reduced the blood pressure of the participants by seven percent within three hours. This decrease in blood pressure could reduce the risk of stroke by 38% and of heart disease by 23%.
The study’s findings can greatly contribute to the reduction in the risk of diseases related to hypertension. Aside from increasing the risk of heart diseases and stroke, hypertension can also increase the possibility of kidney failure and even dementia if not treated.
The researchers believe that the good effect of cherry juice is due to its richness in phenolic acids, which are natural antioxidants. Phenolic acids can be found abundantly in the seeds and skins of fruits, as well as in leafy vegetables. Examples of food that contain phenolic acid include berries, citrus fruits, and whole grain food. Aside from these natural sources, the said antioxidant can also be found in some dietary supplements and even in beverages like coffee, tea, and wine.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· What are people more likely to consume, real fruits or food supplements? Why?
· How do you think people can be encouraged to eat more fruits?
· Do you think that taking dietary supplements (e.g. vitamin tablets/capsules) is good? Why or why not?
· Why do some people rely only on dietary supplements?