【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. integrated /ˈɪn tɪˌgreɪ tɪd/ (adj.) – built-in or attached
Example: Most laptops have integrated microphones.
2. spare /spɛər/ (v.) – to save someone or something from difficulty
Example: The new mobile application spares users from paying excessive fees.
3. thrive /θraɪv/ (v.) – to develop significantly
Example: Development of new gadgets proves that technology thrives.
4. peak /pik/ (n.) – the greatest point achieved
Example: The company was at its peak when it received the award.
5. marketing ploy /ˈmɑr kɪ tɪŋ plɔɪ/ (n.) – a strategy to promote a product or brand
Example: Several companies use promos as a marketing ploy.
Read the text below.
World-famous fast food chain KFC introduces a chicken meal box that allows customers to charge their mobile phones.
The Watt A Box, a chicken meal combo launched in KFC branches in India, features a food storage box, USB cable, and a battery charger for iPhones and Android phones integrated in the box.
The promo runs exclusively in New Delhi and Mumbai outlets. Customers can participate by visiting the official KFC India Facebook page, where they will be asked to “tag,” or link a friend to their post, and tell something good about the Watt A Box.
KFC India Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) Lluis Ruiz Ribot explains that they came up with the concept to spare customers the trouble of dealing with mobile phones that have run out of power while they are dining.
Meanwhile, the mobile phone industry in India continues to thrive. It reached a new peak earlier this year by hitting the one billion mark in its subscriber rate, ranking third after China and the United States in terms of mobile phone subscriber base. Findings of a 2015 study also revealed that Indians spend around 169 minutes daily on their mobile phones.
KFC’s Watt A Box is not a fast food outlet’s first attempt at incorporating technology in food items. Similar marketing ploys include Pizza Hut’s movie projector boxes and McDonald’s collaboration with well-known electronics brand Samsung that enabled customers to use Samsung Galaxy tablets in selected branches.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· In your opinion, how can Watt A Box affect KFC’s brand image?
· Do you think the Watt A Box concept would become popular if done in your country?
· Do you approve of using mobile phones while eating? Why or why not?
· In what other ways can technology be incorporated into food or dining?