【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. upgrade / ʌpˈgreɪd / (v.) – to improve the condition of something
Example: The restaurant is planning to upgrade its facilities by installing new equipment.
2. delicacy / ˈdɛl ɪ kə si / (n.) – a special kind of dish
Example: Brigadeiros are a popular Brazilian delicacy.
3. outperform / ˌaʊt pərˈfɔrm / (v.) – to do better than someone in a task or activity
Example: The new fast-food chain outperformed its competitors after a month from its opening.
4. sit well with / sɪt wɛl wɪθ / (idiom) – to be seen as acceptable
Example: Poor service will never sit well with customers.
5. infringement / ɪnˈfrɪndʒ mənt / (n.) – a violation of a certain law or rule
Example: Using the artist’s sketches without permission is a copyright infringement.
Read the text below.
McDonald's India upgrades its breakfast menu with new offerings.
The Indian franchise of the fast-food chain launched the Masala Dosa Brioche /ˈbri oʊʃ/, which is derived from the popular potato-filled rice pancake masala dosa, and the Masala Scrambled Eggs, a burger with spiced scrambled eggs. Both additions, which were based on popular local Indian delicacies, were introduced last January 13 in Mumbai and made available in McDonald’s other 44 branches in the city.
Much has changed in the breakfast menu of McDonald's since its launch in India in 2010. Previous Indian-inspired additions include the McAloo Tikki, a burger patty made of potato and peas, and the Spicy Paneer Wrap, a sandwich featuring a mix of vegetables and the South Asian cheese paneer.
Currently, Westlife Development, the owner of all McDonald's franchises in western and southern India, continues to alter the chain’s local menu to satisfy consumer demand for variety. McDonald’s is also expanding its food selection to outperform other leading fast-food chains such as Domino’s and Burger King.
The addition of the new items generated mixed reactions from the public. Although some are pleased with McDonald’s India’s newest food offerings, the idea of combining the masala dosa, a classic Indian delicacy, with fast-food items did not sit well with some local customers. Some criticized McDonald’s for lacking creativity, while some argued that the fast-food chain’s action is a form of infringement of India’s intellectual property. As a result, some threatened to boycott McDonald’s to express their opposition.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Do you agree with the reactions of McDonald’s critics? Why or why not?
· What should McDonald’s India do to address these negative reactions?
· Do you think that regular addition of products is good for a business? Explain.
· What other strategies can a business create to outperform its competitors? Discuss.